Wednesday, April 1, 2009

What happened to your teeth, Zachary Chun?!?

TH, 090409 @ 1:50AM
Hello my son. I love taking photos with you where we are both in our little world enjoying the moment as we were above. We're both so very happy, don't you agree? I was eager to post this because I have updated your .doc file. 199 whole pages. Can you believe that? Here's the link in case I babble, babble and somehow forget.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XGU9XHE0

I realized that the first three months of any year have either 90 or 91 days. Why? In case you don't know, HW! This should be an easy one. Anyways. I just wanted to get this link up so that I can somehow dwell on my ever-lasting, ever-changing masterpiece. I'll have to hurry up and ketchup so that I can somehow celebrate the big 1-0-0 posting. That's a pretty big deal, you know. The one hundredth posting. Wow. If my math serves me correctly, I only have tomorrow to ketchup because Friday is the big day. Oh no! We'll see what happens. TTYT son!
TH, 090409 @ 1:57AM

TUE, 090414 @ 2:27AM
Long time, Zach. How have you been? You probably don't know this, but today (the 14th, not the date of this posting) is your grandfather's 71st birthday. Yae! He and I are going to a local restaurant to celebrate. Him and your grandmother actually celebrate their birthdays according to the lunar calendar. I've wondered all my life what that's all about. Uh-oh. HW! Give me a full report about the origin, the usage, and most importantly, its relations to the, uh, 'normal' calendar. Hmm. If there is a lunar calendar, what is the 'normal' calendar called. I'm so curious George. This is a big one so plz do it. For me? Pretty please, with cherry on top? I got your Guitar Hero beanie the other day. One for Rachel too. I think that's gift number 2. Oh yeah. I've been trying to come up with some plan in terms of helping your cousin Thomas with some simple math. I was taught by someone in my childhood to break away from the traditional thought in terms of simple math. You know, if someone asked you for 15% of $75, the first thing you would do is write these numbers down and do long math, right? Here's my little 'trick'? Lesson One. What is 10% of $100? 15%? 25%? 37%? 79%? All easy, right? Because $100 is an even, whole and complete number, figuring out whatever percentage of it is easy, right? 79% = $79. Too easy, right? Now, do that again, but this time, for $200. Traditionally, you would have to write it all out and do long math in order to figure it out. This is where my method comes into play. Before you actually figure out the exact answers, look at the question and analyze the number. In the first set, $100 was the amount. In the second, it's $200. Hmm. $200 is double $100, or x2. Focus on that instead of diving into long math. Now, try to figure out the same percentages for $200. 15%? Traditionally, you would multiply 200 by 15 and move the decimal place two spaces to the left, right? Now do it my way. In the first set, the answer is $15. In the second set, we're figuring out the percentage of something that is double. So, why not just double the answer. $30. 15% of $200 is $30. All I asked was that you step back and analyze the question. Do the next one. 25% of $200. Looks tough, right? Not if you think about the question for a split second. For $100, it was $25, so for $200, it's $50. Times two. Catching on? Now what is 37% of $200. Wow, that seems pretty hard, doesn't it? Not if you do it my way. Just double $37, and you get $74! WOW! 37% of $200 is $74. Finally, we have 79% of $200. Impossible to do in you head, right? WRONG! Simply double $79, and you get, $158. 79% of $200 is $158. And we did this without even lifting a pencil. These examples were pretty easy because we used the first set as reference for the second set. The secret is this. Whatever problem you are being asked, think first before reaching for a pencil and try to simplify it down to 10 or 100. OK, another set to practice my little method. This time, we're going to figure out percentages for $50. 15% if $50? Remember to pause and think. $200 was double $100, but $50 is half of $100. Rather than doubling the answers, we have to chop it up in half for $50. You ready? 15% of $50 is (half of $15) $7.50. 25% of $50? (half of $25) $12.50. 37% of $50? Again, this one looks impossible, but if you just think about it for a second, it's easy. Half of $37 is $15 plus $3.50, or $18.50. (Again, I simplified to figure this one out. First I took $30 and chopped it in half. $15. Next, I halved $7 and got $3.50) 37% of $50 is $18.50. And we did this in our heads. Did you think that was possible? It is now. Finally, what is 79% of $50. Don't be alarmed. Just stay calm and focus. Okay. Break up 79% to 70% and 9%. Half of 70 is 35 and half of 9 is 4.5. Now add 35 and 4.5. You get 39.5. 79% of $50 is $39.50! Good job, Zach! You did it! Well, we did it. Just so that this lesson sticks with you, I want you to figure out 5%, 20%, 35%, 67% and 84% for $100, $200, and $50. After that, you'll have mastered this little technique. I'll continue on with a different set of questions to further your skills. I haven't figured out what that is going to be, but I'll come up with something soon. Whew, that was a lesson and a half, wasn't it? I wish I could pop open a can of Coke for you to enjoy as reward for hanging in there and finishing our little lesson. I love you, have a nice day!
TUE, 090414 @ 3:16AM

No comments:

Post a Comment