Thursday, February 5, 2009

20 Random Things

WED, 090204 @ 4:20AM
Good Morning, Zachary Ryan Chun. A friend of mine asked me to randomly list 20 things. I can't remember the rules for this game, so I'm just going to make up my own rules as I go along. She wanted to get to know me better by reading my list, but I told her about this blog and said it would be a much better way to better know me. Regardless, I'm thinking now. about how beneficial this may be for you to know me better. Here goes...
1) I am burning with desire to venture on with Cash2Consumers.com. I spent a good deal of time reading about writing a business plan. It helped me to somehow organize my ideas into sections and relevance. I will be making an appointment with someone tomorrow so we'll see how it goes. My situation is ideal for such a radical venture because I am not tied down to anything at the moment. I am going to put forth everything I have towards this idea. It will be a make it or break it deal. I'm going all in with this one and the excitement is very difficult to contain. I shouldn't get ahead of myself and focus on the small details as I go along. I'll keep you informed of all of the interesting details as they develop.
2) By definition, random means that there is no order whatsoever. The next item in anything random is unknown because it should be something new and different every time. Thus, I have failed you. In writing about keeping you informed of the events to occur in the random item above, I was reminded of my lack of updates for My Coke Rewards! Ahh, thought I forgot, eh? Stamps cost 42 cents these days, so I managed to purchase a roll of 100. Why so little, you ask? One of the requirements for the free submission is that an index card needs to be filled out with some information. It came out to 101 characters for my submission, and let me tell you. Ouch! It took forever! So, rather than submitting 300, I'm taking my chances with 100. I finished preparing everything yesterday, so I managed to mail off 50 so far. 50 more to go. Cross your fingers and wish me luck.
3) I knew this posting was going to take some time, so I installed itunes. I just heard a song by Alicia Keys, but it won't play another song. Shoot. BRB. Duh, I still don't know how. Instead, I'm playing the songs from "My Top Rated" selection. Again, I've violated the rule of random, but I was going to put in my 2 cents about my music preference, so this one doesn't really count. I grew up in a time when rap was up and coming. The first two CD's I bought were in 1986, the Police: the Singles and Run-DMC, Raising Hell. Put me on the spot and I'll rap my way out of any jam. Yae-Yae! I guess Dr. Dre is my favorite rapper because he's wes-side real. I dig his music cuz I dig not only the lyrics, but the beats that support his rappage. Doe! Why won't itunes keep on playing. Shoot. BRB. Frustrating. Anyways, I love rap. Hard core, gangsta rap. It's kinda hard to admit that at my age, but it's who I am and I can't deny it. Yae-Yae!
4) Only number 4? Wow, this is going to be tougher than I thought. Food. To some, there is nothing better than a good meal. Homemade with loving care. A dish only mom can make will put a never ending smile on their face for hours and hours. Me, I'm the exact opposite. I eat out of necessity and not out of desire. Sure, I feel like a good steak once in a while, but if I don't get it, it's no big deal. I can live for the rest of my life eating the same meal three times a day. I've been having a very difficult time with my mom these days over this very issue. She thinks I'm deliberately avoiding her home made meals for whatever reason. My thing is that I would rather she not take the time to prepare anything for me because I just don't care. I would much rather nuke something in minutes and eat off a paper plate than for her to slave over a pot of whatever. She says it's nothing, but I don't think it is. If not for me, she would eat as she normally does, out of a bowl, mixing as she goes along. She doesn't even bother with the side dishes. Anyways, the point is that I care very, very little for food. Nuff said.
5) I just had a flashing thought. 'Nuff said' is a term that Wolverine uses quite often. Hence, I wanted to speak 'randomly' about my precious comic collection. Back in the early '80s, I use to take a bus, RTD (now Metro) over to the Ambassador hotel on Wilshire Blvd. with a buddy of mine. They held a comic convention there once a month and every trip was a journey and a half. I use to live near Los Feliz, so it was about a half hour ride. I think I was like 10 or so. Barely spoke English and never had any cash. The memories I've kept from that era weren't of the comics, but more so of the journeys to the Ambassador. I managed to preserve a long box from the many trips I made. The rest of this story is too important for me to simply jot down in this list, so I'll post a special one later.
6) itunes still won't play like I want it to. Darn it. I'm waiting for my burrito to cool down. I love burritos because it's so easy to make and very filling. Oops, I've already talked about food, haven't I? And itunes?!? What's going on? Okay. Something random. Hmm. I am quarter Mexican. Asians living here in the states, change our designation when English becomes the dominant language. We come over Korean, but eventually consider ourselves Korean-American. I grew up here, in Los Angeles, so I had many, many opportunities to learn Spanish. About 5 or so years ago, I decided to chop up my 'American' side in two. Now, I am Korean-American-Mexican. In thinking this way, I've developed a love and desire to be Mexican. I am constantly busting out with my Spanish in hopes to perfect it. My Korean, I could care less about. I only use it to speak with my parents and these days, all the movies and dramas are subtitled. Rachel once knew more Spanish than Korean. Darn it. Olvidate.
7) I love movies. The genres that interest me are Romantic Comedies, Action, Sci-Fi, Dramas, and then Comedies. Movies change my mindset and carry me off into different times and places and involve me into a story that only movies can tell. I suppose books do the same, but I'm too impatient and lazy to dive into a book in the same way I can dive into a good movie. Don't repeat this to anyone, but...but my favorite movie of all time is When Harry Met Sally. The dialog in that movie was so whimsically smart and clever that every line caused a smile. I think I was at that age as well when the concept of love was being questioned by me. Rob Reiner directed a beautiful film with words. Anyways, I love movies.
8) Wow, only numero ocho. Hmm, something random... I have one regret in life. Only one. Can you guess? Do you know what it could be? Yup, you guessed right. I gave pity on your mother when she doomed our relationship and reacted irrationally. I think back to that day often because all of this could have been prevented if I just said NO. I won't go into the details because she's way beneath anything for me to continue wasting my breath on. One regret.
9) When I was 16, I soloed a Cessna 152. At 17, I got my pilots license. At 18, I became an Eagle Scout. It was a pretty good start, but I've gone downhill since. I thought having you and your sister would turn everything around and I actually stopped thinking about my inabilities. Now look what happened. Animals, I tell ya.
10) Here's a quickie story that I'll end with. 20 random things is too much. Anyways. A friend of mine, Jimmy, just graduated from LAPD and got his gun and badge. Another friend, Hong, had a birthday. I was dating your mom at the time and thought a nice dinner in Beverly Hills would kill two big birds with one stone. We ended up at Ruth Chris Steak House and feasted on steaks that tasted like the cattle was raised differently. It was a grand meal that none of us can ever forget. Afterwards, we were driving east on Wilshire headed back to K-town. I drove your mother's Integra, she sat shotgun, Jimmy was behind me, and Hong was seated next to him. As we chatted about, a minivan came to a screeching crawl next to me to match my speed. About four or five punk-ass Mexican teens were slanting their eyes and yelling all kinds of derogatory slander at us. I kept on driving and asked, "Hey Jimmy. You got my back?". To which he quickly replied, "yeah, I got your back". I rolled down my window and yelled "Que hondas mojados!" (translation: What up, wetbacks!) Their eyes doubled in size and their mouths kept on opening up in disbelief. The minivan sped up and parked on Wilshire. The sliding door flings open and about six Mexican cholos start coming at us with pipes and bats. I turned my wheel , matched the parked minivan, and rolled down Jimmy's window. He sticks out badge and points his Beretta at the oncoming horror. Just then, their eyes doubled in size once again and they literally dove back into their van and screeched off. I remember my leg wouldn't stop shaking because of what could have been, but it was one of those classic moments in life. We took turns patting Jimmy in the back and laughed all the way home. Makes me smile just thinking about that night. Those were good times.
I know the only rule is 20 random things, but I must bid you adieu here and now. I think this was the longest posting ever. Whew. Sweating just thinking about it. I'll finish my list at the next posting, or not. We'll see. For now, adios!
WED, 090204 @ 6:00AM

No comments:

Post a Comment