Saturday, February 28, 2009

Hey, hurry up Ketchup!

SAT, 090228 @ 11:53AM
Hiya Zachary Ryan Chun. Two tomatoes are rolling down a hill. One is fresh and firm, so it rolls quickly. The other is old and mushy, so it rolls slow. The fresh tomato turns to the other and says "Hey, hurry up Ketchup!". Not too funny, but I'm playing ketchup and I'm on schedule once again. How do you like the picture above? That's where everyone takes a photo when visiting Disneyland. They were celebrating their 50th birthday when we visited way back then, which is why you see the big 5-0 next to Mickey. I love you Zach. I love meaningful photos like this that signals a special moment. Anyways. I was so eager to add the image that I decided to post anything to get it up. Oooh, I'm thinking maybe I should have used this photo for my 50th posting?!? That would have been something else. Anyways. I'll post the name and link of the folder I zipped and encrypted later. I've been kinda lagging in terms of 'meaningful posts', so I'll come back later and maybe squeeze in a story. Anyways, son. TTYL!
SAT, 090228 @ 12:02PM

SAT, 090228 @ 5:53PM
Hello Zachary Ryan Chun. I figured out what I was going to babble to you about today. Before we get started, lemmie go ahead and post a link to a photo folder. BRB.
051009 Disneyland, Buzz #2
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JCNBAJVB

Again, this was just another trip to Disneyland that I won't play by play because I get flustered and angry. It's for your viewing pleasure and it should further prove your mother wrong. Any photo I deem worthy I've been uploading to Picasa and adding to my postings. So, without further ado, drum roll, please...
I don't think I've mentioned to you about my recent memberships to Blockbuster Total Access and Netflix. You pay a monthly fee, and they send you, via postal mail, 3 DVD's at a time. It's given me the opportunity to watch some oldies, but goodies. Of all the different genres out there, my favorite is romantic comedy. Don't share that with anyone. I'm kinda embarrassed to admit it, but it's true. I get emotionally charged up the most whenever a good storyline leads to a happy ending between two people and they live happily ever after. Oh yeah, lemmie do this.
Serendipity - IGIA9. I loved this movie because throughout the entire film, the potentially unknown mystery about a hopeless romance is questioned. Two people who desire a special romance is letting fate and destiny determine their futures. Hints are constantly given as to why they should be together as well as why they aren't together and it is played like a philharmonic orchestra. I think my rating it's a bit biased because I love Kate Beckinsale. Anyways.
As I've been watching classics, I noticed a commonality that is very rare. Many of the movies were based on the novels by Jane Austin. She's some British novelist from way back. Her name is about all I know of her, besides her works. The movies in question are Sense and Sensibility, Mansfield Park, Persuasion, Emma,, and one other one that I can't quite recall ATM. The commonality is that these stories take place close to 200 years ago in Britain and they all somehow depict the lives of the privileged elite. Back then, marriages weren't performed out of love as it should be. Rather, it was a ceremony that allowed people to increase their rank in society. It wasn't as clearly defined and structured as are marriages for Asians. We know this to be arranged marriages. Parents play the role of matchmaker according to one's characteristics without any account for compatibility. Where one was educated, the careers of parents, and total worth was the calculated factors that determined a person's value of marriage. The Brits didn't have the audacity to straight out call them arranged marriages, but it was certainly practiced because one could not marry out of love. This is a very common, reoccurring theme in Jane Austin's work. In the most well known novel, Sense and Sensibility, believe it or not, I've watched four different versions! Two of which were mini-series, lasting close to seven hours. I've told Irene about this blog and I think she reads it. I mention this because her mother, Teresa and I, were trying to figure out where we knew the name Wiloughby from. We're still baffled, but in case you're reading this Irene, tell moms it's from Sense and Sensibility. Because there are four versions, I won't be able to do a IGIA on it. I just got through watching Mansfield Park, so...
Mansfield Park - IGIA9. This is a fantastic love story between two people who can't possibly be together forever. Society won't allow for their joining, so they venture off into two different relationships that seems to make sense. The tragedies of these undesired relationships further strengthen their love for one another. It has that flare of upper British society mixed in with the grief and despair of even the noblest of families. I fell in love with Franny because she was so genuinely real, regardless of what should and shouldn't be. The possible romance that can never be becomes a powerful theme that lingers on til the very end. This is a period piece that cannot be missed because it tells the truth behind how things were.
Emma - IGIA7. This is another one of Jane Austin's classic novels that eventually made it to film. Whereas Gwenith Paltrow's performance was spectacular, the comical and whimsical theme of love and marriage is downplayed too much for it to be cared for. Playing matchmaker and witnessing the flippant attitudes of its supporting cast just makes this film hard to truly engulf yourself in. Too many stories thin out meaning and eventually loses value.
I guess the purpose behind this post was to discuss these somewhat adult, period films. You'll have to be in your 20's to truly understand and appreciate these films, but it is somewhat important to me, so I thought I should share. It's somewhat difficult to understand in its entirety because of the use of Old English, but you'll appreciate how much language was emphasized and practiced. It's rare to find beauty in a spoken word these days, so merely listening to dialogue in these films is pleasant. Hmm. Maybe I should have saved this post for Rachel. Anyways son, parting is such a difficult task when in fact there are hours to be overcome so that we may visit once again. Huh?!? CYA!
SAT, 090228 @ 6:54PM

No comments:

Post a Comment