Friday, January 30, 2009

My Coke Rewards

FRI, 090130 @ 10:48PM
A post doesn't seem complete without a photo. CYA!
FRI, 090130 @ 10:49PM

FRI, 090130 @ 9:44PM
Hello son. 'Why so serious?' has been a popular name used by gamers these days. It is a whimsical, rebutting statement directed at those players who take gaming to the extreme. To those who are easily inflamed by anything. That's kinda the mood I'm in now. Ursula paid me a visit, so the mood of the blog right now, is a pretty burdensome load on my shoulders. Let me instead, share a pretty funny story in the making. Last year, the Coca Cola Company, based in Atlanta, Georgia, began an advertising run entitled 'My Coke Rewards'. Coke products were imprinted with codes that you typed in online to receive reward points. If you buy a 12 pk, you would get 10 points. I drink their products when the choice is mine, so I started stacking up points. I had about 50 points at the time. All of a sudden, with little warning, all of my accumulated points EXPIRED! What?!? Yes, I lost them all. I cursed them for doing that and swore I would never participate in their foolishness. A couple of weeks ago, I had difficulties disposing of my third or fourth Coke 'lid'. The piece of the packaging that is removed to dispense the drinks, has the code imprinted on them. Being the Survey champ that I believe myself to be, I gave them a second chance and began accumulating points. In browsing for how to spend my points, I noticed a very attractive product. The ESPN Homezone Viewing Room. It is currently their biggest prize for any sweepstakes. A $6,000 gift card to Best Buy along with a $2,000 card for some dumb sports chair maker. Three reward points for one entry. I didn't see anything that I remotely desired for my 'price range'. Nothing even remotely close. So, I jumped over to the sweepstakes and I am officially a playa, playa. This is SuperBowl Sunday weekend. The Pittsburgh Steelers versus the Arizona Cardinals. To celebrate, the Von's market, along with Pavilion's, both subsidiaries of the Safeway Co., printed up coupons for 4, 12-pks. for only $7.99. Wow, that is pretty cheap. Two bucks a 12-pk is cheap. I went to a Vons in the morning, entered my 40 points, or 13 entries, and then to a Pavilions for another 13. Sure I was in the groove and dodging tackles good, but man, oh man. That's a shitload of Cokes, SA. The next step brings me to this funny twist. I have entered this sweepstakes more or less, 50 times. They should have the decency to send you email confirmations, but brother's in Atlanta don't chills like that. My second line of thought dealt with potential contestants. 3 points for one entry is pretty steep. I wondered about the total number of entries. Oh, this sweepstakes only runs from 090101 through 090208. Today is the 30th of January, so I have 7 days of mailings left. The one hitch is that no one may enter more than 50 times in a day. Ahh, and one of this nation's beauties is the 'no purchase necessary' clause. Sweepstakes are always open to all, free of charge, always. So, the fine print for this sweepstakes has me writing like mad. On a 3x5 index card, I have my name, address, phone#, email, age and name of sweeps. Damn, I'm gonna count it. BRB. 101 characters. Couldn't count the spaces like I would for typewritten test. Hmm, I think that was my very FIRST text count?!?! Anyways, I printed out 100 envelopes and managed to get only 10 cards handwritten. Tomorrow, I will pay a visit to the post office and see what the cheapest cost will be with postage. That is going to determine my full dedication to this project. 7 Days, 50 entries per day, 350 entries. At 42 cents, that would come out to $147. Damn, I have to. Look. I have 50. I've purchased to mail in a 100 more. Total is 150. With 150,000 entries, my odds will be 1 in 1,000. Let's say I did 200, an additional 42 dollars, now upto $84. With 150,000 entries, my odds betters to 1 in 600. If I do the maximum allowed, 350, more, my odds will improve to...1 in 375. Wow. What to do?!?
Hey there. I went to sweep the patio. I've decided. 350 more entries it is. Tonight, I have 10 down. 40 to go. I can do this. I'll provide for you the daily play by play on this one and post the results, when available. I can do this! Bye, Zachary Ryan Chun. I love you.
FRI, 090130 @ 10:40PM

No comments:

Post a Comment