Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Thread Errand

SUN, 090118 @ 3:19PM
Hello Zachary Ryan. Hope all is well with you. Every time you kiss your sister, Rachel Lauren Chun, kiss her again for me, will you? I miss you guys both very much. I started categorizing your First Birthday photos but gave it up because it was affecting me a bit too much. So, I've decided to start with one of my stories, one of many that I can share with you. I lived in Korea until 1978. I have a select few memories from then and there but the contrast to the life here was so great that it has helped me retain them. Where shall I begin? I think my earliest memory comes from one of my Tae Kwon Do lessons. I started when I was three and I won some sort of notebook from some sort of tournament there. I still have it because I won it, but moreso because your grandfather, my father, used it to teach himself English. It's stored deep within my few remaining boxes of treasures and I would like for you to see it someday. I never advanced more than blue belt because of my accident. That in itself is one of my great stories because of the intensity and severity of the occasion, so I will dedicate a few days worth of postings in the near future to share that with you. As a child in Korea, we, meaning your grandparents and your aunt and myself, lived impoverished. There's some sort of ridiculous law which forbids citizens from working once intentions of immigrating are declared. We were very poor. My mother worked as a seamstress at the time, sewing and making dresses of sorts for the locals. I believe I was three at the time when this incident occurred. I was busy playing around with the neighborhood riff raft but my mother interrupted me and called me over. She needed some thread from the nearby store, so she was directing me to run an errand. She wrote the order onto a sheet of paper, wrapped that around some money, and secured it into my front pocket. I nodded persistantly to ensure her of my confidence to get the job done. I knew exactly where I had to go so I knew I could get the job done right. I wave my goodbyes to her and off I went. I hadn't walked a block, when all of a studden I hear a "psst" coming from a dark alley. I look over, point at myself, and some dude nods and waves me over to him. The first thing he said was, "Hey, you have a sister, right?". "Yeah, how did you know?". "I know her. Can you give her this note?". He opens up a trash lid and rips out a piece of paper. Then he writes something on it. "This is a secret so give it to her when you see her". I more than obliged being the kind hearted friendly chap that I was. He shoves the folded up note into my pants and reminds me of how important it is that I get this note to her. I smile and continued on my errand. I think it took about half an hour for me to finally reach my destination. When I get there, I look into my pocket for the order and money, but can't find it?!? Instead, I pull out a dirty old piece of newspaper with nothing on it. Oh no! The dirty, rotten scoundrel stole from me! I cried all the way back home not because I lost the money, but because I failed to do as my mother asked. The lesson I want you to learn from this tragic incident is this. People lose things every day. Whether by mistake, or intentionally from thieves or natural disasters. Shit happens. If that which is lost can be replaced, don't worry about it. Money is made and lost every day by every one. Lose a hundred dollars today, make two hundred tomorrow. The only things valuable to me are those things that cannot be replaced. Photos for instance, are more valuable to me than anything else. If I lose them in a fire or something, no amount of money on earth can replace my loss. Don't dwell on your loss, but think for a minute what it would take to replace your loss and move along. Rethink and redefine value because there is a huge difference in what most people think are treasures and what really is a treasure. To me, a chest full of old pictures is much more valuable than a chest full of gold. Think about this, it's really important that you understand this early in your life. Well, that's my rambling for today. Until next time, son. Muah!
SUN, 090118 @ 3:58PM

No comments:

Post a Comment