Monday, March 16, 2009

This is the before picture, Zachary Chun.

WED, 090318 @ 2:48PM
Hello again, Zach. This is the before picture from yesterday's posting. We came out so good, I had to post it even though its almost identical. Hope you don't mind. I certainly don't. To continue on with yesterday's lesson, I wanted to share with you file structure for computers. Everything on a computer can be replaced because of the wonderful world of the world wide web. That means, the only files that is important and of any relevance are those files that you create. A homework assignment written on Word, or a math problem solved in Excel, or even photos you take. These files are uniquely yours because you created them and they're the ones of any value. That means, you have to keep them in your My Documents folder and periodically back them up. Any time you do something major, you should consider backing up your files. For example, if you download a bunch of great photos from a birthday party, consider backing up your My Documents folder. I use to burn DVD's any time anything important was placed into My Document folder. Some years ago, 4.5 GB's was huge, but nowadays, that's not much. My photos take up about 8 discs and I have several copies of these sets. I consider these files to be of the utmost importance so I made various copies, multiple times. These days, prices have gone down for external USB drives, so I just backup everything onto these drives. The thing to remember here is that anything that you create is the only thing important on a computer, so you should treat these files differently and back them up as often as you can. OK, that's that. The next thing I want to share with you is the importance of knowing file extensions. A file extension is a three letter designation of the type of file that it is. Some important file extensions I can name off the top of my head are .exe, .pdf, .xls, .jpg, .doc, .txt, .bmp, .mp3, .mov, .flv, and .avi. There are dozens more. What these things are, are designations of the type of file that it is. For example, .exe are executable files, or applications. They're usually hidden from view by default but that doesn't mean you should know what they are. HW! Sorry guy, but this is very important, so I'm going to give you a HW assignment. Under the tools option from any open folder, scroll down to 'folder options'. The last tab is titled 'file types'. Under this tab are all of the registered file types on the computer that you are on. These are the registered file extensions. I want you to go through every one of these known file types and write an Excel spreadsheet. Column A will be titled 'file extension', column B will be 'file types', and column C will include the names of the programs that it 'opens with'. Many of these extensions are system files so you won't have to deal with them. Also, many different types of programs can open the same file type, but Windows only designates one program that it will open with, so write that down. It would be too redundant and unnecessary to know all of the programs that are capable of opening up a certain file extension. Okay, I think I'm done here. Just remember the main file types and be aware of their existence because it will help you to understand those items in your My Document folder for you to back up. I know this may all be way too much for you, but it is important so I had to share. Consider this HW a WIP and take your time with it and add to it whenever you come across something new. Anyways, I think I'm done now. Promise. Kiss Rachel for me and tell her how much her daddy loves her and misses her. And that goes for you too, Zach. What can we do? We are surrounded by friggin animals. TTYL!
WED, 090318 @ 3:20PM

No comments:

Post a Comment