Saturday, March 14, 2009

Zachary Chun and Rachel Chun are two of my favorite things.

TUE, 090317 @ 11:58PM
Hello Zach.  I'm a bit behind, aren't I.  My apologies.  I've been thinking about the various ways to catch up and I couldn't really think of anything non-negative.  I've been going through a bunch of photos, and the more I dig through them, the more bitter and hateful I get.  Every last picture captured a good, memorable event.  Things we take for granted and overlook.  Oh wells.  I did have this thought though.  It's kinda like HW, so bare with me.  This is my two minute lesson I give noobs on computers.  When comparing different systems, there are three key bits of information you need to know.  1) Processor, 2) RAM, and 3) size of hard drive.  Of course there are many other factors to consider such as FSB memory, the speed of the HDD, and so on.  For our purposes here, let's keep it simple.  When comparing systems, these three items are the main factors.  In order to understand these numbers, I compare these numbers to a simple, everyday scenario.  Specifically, a computer is no more than a man sitting at an office desk.  The processor can be compared to the person him/her self.  The faster and newer it is, the smarter the person is.  That is, the better the processor, the smarter the computer.  Simple, right?  That one's easy.  The second piece is the amount of RAM available.  Interpret this as the size of the desk that this person is sitting behind.  With minimal RAM, you have a small desk.  No matter how smart you are, if your desk is small, you can't get much done.  You can open a book, but if you have to open another book, the first book has to be put away in order to continue working.  On the flipside, if you have a large desk, you can have dozens of books open and reference them easily just by moving open books around.  Here, books refer to applications.  A computer with lots of RAM is capable of performing many tasks because there is plenty of memory available to leave a whole mess of books open on your desktop.  Therefore, size of RAM eauals size of desk.  Again, simple.  Right?  Last is the size of the HDD.  Compare this to the size of a person's filing cabinet.  This is where everything is store.  Photos, videos, applications, and so on.  If you're smart, you can open up many, many books on your large desk, those items you pulled out of your rather large file cabinet.  The key to having a good system is the ability to balance these three factors evenly.  You can be the smartest person in the world, but if you have a small desk and a small filing cabinet, you won't be able to do much.  Another example is that if you're not too bright, but you have a huge desk with a room full of filing cabinets, you won't get anything done.  Or, if you are smart and your desk is huge compared to others, you won't have the opportunity to do anything if your filing cabinet is small.  You following me?  Lastly, you can be Einstein sitting behind a hugh desk, but if your filing cabinet is very small in comparison with others, there won't be enough available to do.  Do you get it?  These three factors have to weigh in just right so that this person, or your computer system, can perform many tasks on a huge desk.  Knock any of the three items down and you have productivity loss, or simply, a bad computer. I've used this explanation with dozens and dozens of people.  When a retailer prints out these numbers in their descriptions of the system being sold, it's ignore a majority of times because people just don't understand these numbers.  For example, the computer I'm posting from, is a processor by Intel running at about 1GB.  That's not fast compared with the new systems that is utilizing dual processors.  That's like having two brains!  Ya get it?  I also have 1GB ram and a 300 GM HDD.  I built this computer myself and it took me awhile to get everything just right.  Well, I hope I made some sense.  This is a very crucial exercise and practice because it will come up many more times that you can imagine.  Anyways, that's it for now.  BYE!
WED, 090318 @ 12:28AM

No comments:

Post a Comment